Links to Sites of InterestDoor County, Sheep and the World!
LINKS TO SITES OF INTEREST
Below are links to other sites which, in some fashion, are related to activities at Whitefish Bay Farm.
- Sheep Breeds of the World – a very extensive list and description of virtually every breed of sheep in the world.
- American Corriedale Association
- Australian Corriedale Sheep Association
- Black and Coloured Sheep Breeders’ Association of New Zealand
- British Coloured Sheep Breeders Association
- Wisconsin Sheep Breeders Cooperative – information about sheep and sheep breeders in Wisconsin.
Wool and Fiber
- Yocom-McColl – for information about the characteristics of wool and testing services of wool samples for fineness.
- Blackberry Ridge Woolen Mill – is a wonderful mill for having raw wool processed into roving in preparation for handspinning, or for having raw wool spun into yarn. All of our machine prepared roving and yarn is handled by these wonderful folks.
- The Black Sheep Gathering – a wonderful event occurring every year in Eugene, Oregon. A must for the natural fiber producer and artist.
- Black Sheep Newsletter – an open forum – reader written – providing useful dialogue for both spinners and shepherds. The newsletter serves the spinner and weaver by providing farm sources for a variety of handspinning fleeces and by sharing tales of shepherding sheep.
- Wisconsin Sheep and Wool Festival – occurring in early to mid September each year.
Wool and Fiber on the Door Peninsula of Wisconsi
- Sievers School of Fiber Arts – on Washington Island, at the northern tip of Door County, offers a wide selection of classes related to the fiber arts.
Other Interests on the Door Peninsula
- Heaven Scent Gardens – A beautiful selection of natural botanical bath and body products to rejuvenate your skin and stimulate your sense of smell with a full line of aromatherapy body products. All made in Door County. Supplier to Whitefish Bay Farm B&B
- Wisconsin Cherry Growers – The Door Peninsula is virtually synonymous with Cherry growing in Wisconsin. Here is a list of sources for cherries in the state.
Bed and Breakfasts and Restaurants
(While we rarely get to travel, we can list a select number of establishments at which we have been privileged to stay or where we have had a delightful meal.) They are listed below by country.
While we rarely get to travel, we can list a select number of establishments at which we have been privileged to stay or where we have had a delightful meal.) They are listed below by country.
- Paua Bay Farm Stay – A farm stay B&B located on one of the most beautiful sites imaginable: a sheep farm on the Banks Peninsula, South Island that looks out over the Pacific Ocean.
- Wilderness Lodges – Two separate lodges located in some of the most wild and natural parts of the South Island: Arthur’s Pass (with a large flock of sheep) and Lake Moeraki
- Engvej Rooms – In the Hunderup neighborhhod of Odense, Denmark. A warm and inviting B&B (as close to home as I can be.)
- Sortebro Kro – A restored country inn, with wonderful food, in Odense, Denmark
- Ballebro Færgekro – Located on the eastern coast of southern Jutland, a lovely old inn and restaurant in a lovely, quiet setting
- Bjerrumgard Bed & Breakfast – On the outskirts of Ribe, Denmark’s oldest town
- Pension Holm Mølle – A truly lovely bed & breakfast. It once was a water mill and is located in beautiful, peaceful and idyllic country in central Jutland, north of Silkeborg.
Sites that have a personal interest:
- Sct. Knuds Gymnasium – For those who can read Danish. A dear old school in Odense, Denmark that celebrated its 150th jubilee in 2003. Til lykke på fødselsdagen!
- Washington University – St. Louis, Missouri, another fine school, that also celebrated its 150th birthday in 2003.
- American Farmland Trust – works to stop the loss of productive farmland and to promote farming practices that lead to a healthy environment
- AFS Intercultural Programs – One of the finest of intercultural exchange programs to be found today. AFS is also the fountain from which all of the current history behind this farm and its farmers sprung many, many years ago!